GALLOWAY 12

The latest edition to the Galloway car collection is appropriately named.  Introducing the 1925 Galloway 12.  It comes with its original 1669cc (102 cu in) straight-4 overhead valve engine, fitted with a 4 speed manual gearbox.

HISTORY OF GALLOWAY MOTORS

Galloway Motors was a Scottish car maker founded in 1920.  Galloway cars were developed as a smaller model car, made under the Arrol-Johnston banner.

The company, directed by Dorothee Pullinger, was largely run and staffed by women.  The factory at Tongland, Kirkcudbrightshire was originally built as a wartime aero engine plant and Thomas Charles Pullinger, the manager of Arrol-Johnston was persuaded by his daughter Dorothee to keep the factory open to provide local employment.  She set up training courses and apprenticeships specifically for local women which were for three years duration rather than the usual five years, as girls were thought to be better at attending and quicker learners than boys.

The vehicles were advertised as "a car made by ladies for others of their sex".  The Galloway car had several adaptations to appeal to women drivers.  It was smaller and lighter, with more storage space and a more reliable engine, than other cars on the market at the same time.  It had a rear-view mirror and a raised seat which gave the driver a better line-of-sight.  Additionally, the hand-brake was situated more conveniently near the driver's seat, rather than under the dashboard.

 Unfortunately, it was not a good time to launch a new car and only a few hundred vehicles were produced before the Tongland factory was forced to close in 1923.  Production was moved to the parent company factory at Heathall, Dumfries.

Two models of the Galloway were produced.  The first was the Galloway 10/20 1460cc (89 cu in) straight-4 side valve, produced from 1920-1925.  The design of this vehicle was heavily influenced by the Fiat 501.  

In 1925 the engine was upgraded to an Arrol-Johnston unit which was a 12hp 1669cc (102cu in) straight-4 overhead valve engine.  On test by The Motor Magazine, a top speed of 51mph was achieved.

A total of around 4000 Galloway cars were produced until the company was wound up in 1928.

HISTORY OF THE VEHICLE

Galloway and Arrol-Johnston cars were distributed in Queensland by the Simpson Motor Body Company.  This particular car was purchased in 1925 from the Brisbane Motor Show.

The original owner added a rear luggage rack, cross brace between the front mudguards and both exterior and interior mirrors, and used the vehicle until the late 1950's.  The Galloway was then placed on blocks and stored, with the engine started every few months.  In the early 1980's the vehicle was passed onto a family member, who completed a cosmetic restoration of the vehicle including new paint, a new fabric roof cover, new tyres and running boards.

 
 
The first picture shows the car at its orginal home.  The second picture is as the car came out of the shed in the early 1980's.  The two photos are taken in nearly the same location, 50 years apart.

The vehicle has remained within the same family for 90 years until our recent purchase.  Thanks to Ian Marshall for preserving such an interesting piece of history over the past 30 years and for sharing his family history of the vehicle.

It is believed that 50 Galloway cars were sold by the Simpson Motor Body Company in Brisbane and only less than ten would be in Australia now.